Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Mission




I've waited my entire school life for this project. When I was in 4th grade all the other classes made their missions, for some reason...ours did not. Finally, 20 years later(yikes) its Hunters turn. In typical Hayflich fashion, a day before its due, we sit down to make this mission. I refuse to spend money on a kit and with the help of friends gathered old school boxes, construction paper, clay and Styrofoam and let loose my creative juices. At 11 pm last night, as I sprinkled my last bits of silver glitter into the historic fountain of the Santa Barbara mission, I did a happy dance. This thing looks like the real deal! A+ for sure.

So this morning we walk this four foot wide mission into school. In passing Hunters school mates comment on how cool it looks and Hunter and I proudly respond THANK YOU with a giggle.

My jaw dropped when I walked into class and saw the other missions. I wanted to ask the parents what architect they hired to build their child's mission! Miniature people, glass windows, wooden crosses, cemeteries with miniature coffins. What in hell!

Oh well, Im proud anyway. At least my mission looks like a 4th grader made it and not a USC graduate with a masters in engineering!

No comments:

Post a Comment